Thursday, September 20, 2012

Doll Onsies

To keep my mind off things, I've been sewing. My sister brought over a onsie she'd cut down to doll size following this tutorial online. She was going to borrow my sewing machine, but then she decided maybe I'd want to keep it in case I wanted to keep my mind off things. So I made a sock monkey (not pictured because he was swept off to Fina's bed straight away), but they take a lot of hand sewing. Then we were at the dollar store and found a garfield onsie and diaper cover set that we thought the koosas would like, and also one with the most glorious WTF goat ever. I brought them home since the sewing machine is here, with the plans that my sister would come over later and we'd cut them down together. Well later that night I couldn't help it, I wanted a closer look at the goat so I had to open the package. My sister said, "why don't you try modifying it?" and sent me the link.
So the glorious goat onsie is now a CPK sized t-shirt. It's being modeled by a Jesmar who apparently spawned in Fina's closet. (Ok, so Jesmars are impossible to leave behind at thrift stores even if you aren't actively collecting.)
That was so fun I decided to try the garfield one. It was easier because the design was centered. The diaper cover to shorts was kind of fun too, although this picture doesn't show the shorts at all. After that, my sister brought over the whole stack of them that she had to alter, because it goes fast and it's easy and takes my mind off things. Fina has a doll who always rudely begs for clothes, so I cut one down for her.
Her response was "where's my pants and my skirt and my underpants and my nightgown?" Then I got one of Weezy's dolls, a little baby who she had bought naked from a thrift store. I held up 2 choices for Eloise and said "does baby want the green shirt or the pink shirt?" Eloise responded "NO! Dat baby no clothes!"
I let Fina choose and made one for her anyway. I tried to follow the whole tutorial this time and make it into a onsie, but I was too stupid to do the bottom part so there you go. It was harder to make than the others because baby no clothes is much smaller and smaller clothes are more fiddly. I haven't decided whether to cut the bottom straight and hem it like a t-shirt or just leave it how it is. Anyway, it's my kind of project because they go quickly, and there's minimal cutting out and no ironing. Plus my kids aren't as picky as I was as a kid, and they don't care if their dolls wear wonky looking clothes. My sister and I were clothes snobs with our dolls because my mom was so talented at sewing.

Also here's a picture of Eloise being a ham that my sister took when she was visiting.
 





1 comment:

  1. Well, you had to make do with quality over quantity I guess. I like that some of the stuff I made your dolls 30 years ago is still around. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete